Monday, May 13, 2013

Intentions and Declarations

     Every time I sit down to write a post (and before I sit down to write it, and when I just think about writing it, and when I read blogs I love like this one and this one and this one and this one that do an amazing job of blogging regularly and giving beautiful and focused snippets of their lives and passions) I tell myself that I really need to post 2 or 3 times a week.  None of this once every few weeks thing that has been going on the past few months.  I know it is important in getting readership up.  I know it is what you are supposed to do if you want a "successful" blog.  It is on all the lists of what to do in building successful creative businesses.  And much more importantly to me personally, it would really help me focus.  I spend days thinking, oh, I am going to write a post on the dress I made for the wedding last weekend, then I don't write it and the weekend passes and the post becomes the dress and the wedding and the trip, which will obviously take longer to write, so again I don't write it because I don't have the time to focus on such a big post.  Then more time passes and the post becomes the dress and the wedding and the trip and how beautiful my garden has become all of a sudden.  Again, longer post, more time, don't do it. Then it is dress, wedding, trip, garden, bread for a party.  Then dress, wedding, trip, garden, bread, swim lessons, 5K, mother's day, new baby blanket, how much I love yoga.  And through all of those obviously will be mixed in the beauty and love of my baby girl!

     And the idea of somehow writing all of that in one post, that people will actually want to read, that will be focused and make sense and somehow convey all I want to say about all of those wonderful things is so overwhelming, and makes me feel so scattered and disorganized that instead I check Facebook and email and my Etsy shop stats over and over again in the 45 handsfree minutes I have that day while Annie is napping.

    Now here is really the point of this post.  One of the most important things I have learned from all my time at Weight Watchers meetings over the years is that telling people your intentions has amazing power in helping you to stick to them.  Partly I think this is because people are much more willing to help you meet your goals and stick to your plan if they know what that is and that it is important to you.  But also, really, who wants to make this big declaration about their intention to do some great goal, and then not do it.  You feel like a jerk, and no one wants that.

    So here is my declaration: I really want to blog two times per week.  They do not have to be enormous, amazing, beautiful posts.  Just a check in on what I am up to in life and in this attempt at business.  Because really, I am so in love with everything I am doing these days and I do want to write about it all and share it with anyone out there actually reading this.

    So I AM going to write these posts, all separately and hopefully at least a little bit focused and purposeful, and when I actually write them, the list will become links!


Oh, and while I am making public declarations:

  1. Lucy - I really am going to finish that translation stuff for you! I am soooooo sorry it has taken me so long. 
  2. Speaking of the things I have learned in Weight Watchers, I am trying to get back on that wagon.
So for now, here are some pretty pictures,
Swim lessons! 

Breaking the Bumbo rules...

So happy wrapped in so much knitted love!

Grampy's B Day hike!

I am not making a weird face! 

90 degrees today and no AC

Anna Maria Horner linen!
To become awesome clutches, one day!

This became a dress! 

FLT wedding love!

Front lawn fun!

Yum!

More yum!

Sweet peas from my mom's garden, that survived
a plane flight in my diaper bag!

Mother's Day lemon cake!
Anyone in the area, please come get a slice or I will eat
this whole thing in the next few days.  

... and thank you for letting me make declarations and set intentions and hold myself accountable!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment